Tuesday, February 11, 2014

How to Create Bee Stung Lips | Make Up Tutorial

How to create bee stung lips - make up tutorial

There's something so classy and chic about perfectly precise red lipstick. Although I've replicated this look on my make up clients many a time and admired it from afar, unfortunately I don't feel that I myself, can quite pull it off. I wasn't blessed with full, defined lips like Angelina, so instead I came to create my own version of a subtle red lip with a more natural, smudgy finish. 

'Bee Stung' lips, so they're called, are a great alternative for those who love the rich color of red, but tend to always gravitate towards a much safer, neutral gloss instead.

The goal of this easy tutorial is to create the illusion of full, youthful lips, without the need for a defined outline (or filler!)


Ready to try it out? Let's go!


STEP 1
First step is to moisturize your lips. I like *Alba Botanical Lip balm. It's cheap and really impressed me when I first came across it due the list of great ingredients (click here to find out why). The Pineapple Quench happens to be my personal fave.




STEP 2
After you've allowed the moisture to sink for a few seconds, blot your lips with a tissue to remove any excess.


STEP 3
To show the true color of any lipstick, I like to always apply foundation to the lips, just like you would do for the face. Pale, lifeless lips are not the most attractive here, I know, but hang on in there, those babies are about to pop right out!

Then I apply a light dusting of translucent powder to ensure great staying power.

Let's stop right here for a short break because I have a secret I'd like to share...
 
The secret to bee stung lips - make up tutorial - inspired little bird blog

 Yes, I actually like to use cream blush instead of a lip product!

I like it because they usually have a matte finish and a drier texture. This works well because it will kind of 'stain' your lips, last a long time and give the illusion that your lips are naturally tinged with a flush of color.
 
Do I need to even mention that getting a second purpose out of your beauty products is also a money saving bonus? 


STEP 4
Ok, back to it. Application is so easy. Literally, blink and you'll miss it.

You want to imagine a circle, right in the center of your lips together. This circle covers just your Cupid's bow and the fullest part of your bottom lip. With that in mind, take your cream blush/lipstick/tint of choice and dab it generously with your fingertip in that imaginary circle.

It will gradually blend outwards which you want, but try to aim to keep the concentration of color within that small circle.

STEP 5
Now step back and assess. Do you need to blend a bit more or apply more color? If you like a bit more moisture, you can also finish off with a lip balm (wax is best, nothing super glossy).

And here's the result:
 
I told you it was easy! 
 Now you have the lips of a quintessential english rose from a fairytale forest...
 
WHAT PRODUCTS TO USE?
I'm always asked what are the best products to use. I plan to mention a lot more of my favorite must-haves on my blog but for this tutorial in particular, here are some of my tried and trusted picks.

 
So, what do you think of this look? Do you find it easier to apply than the traditional red lipstick ? 
 
As always, if you happen to try this out, I'd love to hear your comments below. In the meantime, you can also 'pin' this post it for later!
 
Mmmwah Darlings!

 

* Affliate links

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment!