
I've had a play with clay (ha!) a few times in the past but as I've always made jewelry for brides, I've never really had much of chance. I'm always working with crystals, pearls and silk fabric instead so this is a fresh new concept for me. And of course... That also means I can create something pretty for everyday.

I'm currently really loving metallics too (like rest of the planet) but only recently dipped my toe into the world of gold and silver leaf. Obviously not the real deal for experimentation purposes but was so impressed with the Speedball Mona Lisa Gold Leaf
First, a quick note about clay.

Ok. So, if I can quickly mention the clay itself before we get going, I just want to say I've tried a few different types. I know polymer seems to be the popular choice and maybe I'm missing something but sorry Mr Premo, you're not for me. I get they're already colored but I prefer to use paint instead and with the stone clay being more porous, I find, it's better for that. Also, I prefer having the option to sand the dried day afterwards and obviously, there's no baking involved. But hey... That's just me. If you're happy with your usual clay, polymer or otherwise, keep with it! Different strokes and all ;)
Here I've used Premier Stone Clay* because I love the smooth texture how lightweight it is. It's very easy to work with in your hands too. As it's air dries hard, it does dry out though, but I keep on hand some water and add a little as I go.

You will need:
• Clay
• Mini clay cutters
• Metal leaf*
• Craft paint - I personally like Martha Stewarts'
• Sealer, like Sculpey gloss glaze*
• A clay dedicated flat surface like a glass cutting board or baking sheet and roller
Optional Extras:
• 800 Grit Extra fine sandpaper
• Exacto knife, scraper, clay tools etc...
• Playing cards
Here's what I came up with for this project and how I did it:
Step 1 & 2
First, I conditioned the clay. If you're working with polymer this may take a few minutes unless you have a pasta machine. Air dry I find, was quicker although that cup of water I mentioned, is a good idea to have nearby.
Then, I just rolled it out using my clay roller until it was smooth and even.

TIP! You may be wondering why you see the King of Spades a-peeking there above? To keep the thickness of the clay consistent as you roll it out, I like to stack two or three sets of playing cards together either side of where I'm working and then roll out the clay in between them.
Works every time!
Step 3 & 4
Then I took my mini cutters and cut out several little shapes (whatever you fancy).
Set your shapes aside to dry. If you're after that silky smooth texture, go over the surface of air dry clay with a wet, fine paintbrush then leave them alone for up to 24 hours, or bake as directed for Polymer.

Step 5
By now they should be nice and dry and we're free to embellish and decorate! Yay!
Optional added step here for Air Dry Clay:
I like to sand my pieces lightly with fine sandpaper at this point before painting.
Step 6
Then while the paint was still moist, I took a tiny piece of gold leaf and lay it flat over the clay.

This bit was a lil' tricky. I really wanted my gold leaf to sit perfectly smooth. However, it seems to have a habit of getting everywhere, but where you want it to. So, I had a few crumpled areas, but it's not the end of the world. I'll just have to put in some practice. You will not defeat me, new project, you!
Step 7
I gently pressed the leaf down and then sealed it with a coat of Sculpey Gloss Glaze.

Step 8
Then, take the tiniest dab of E6000 glue and place it on the back of the earring finding. (a cocktail stick works great). Press it firmly in place and leave to set for 24 hours to cure.
All Finished!

Cute, yes?!

I also made a few other shapes - here's a round pair in blush pink...

Do you like?!
Asterisks are provided next to affiliate links to show you where I buy these supplies myself. I haven't received any of these particular items for free or in exchange for this published post. They're simply the best that I come across in my crafting travels and naturally, I relish the opportunity to share them with my lovely readers! If you have any questions or would like to find out more about my recommended products, please drop me an email...



No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment!