Saturday, December 21, 2013

Twice Baked Potatoes | Easy Lunch Recipe



Ahh, the good old baked potato. Or should I say 'jacket potato'? Jacket potato food trucks frequent many a corner in my home town - the busy city of Birmingham, England. After moving across the pond, almost 4 years ago, I've since seen the same humble potato, piled high with lashings of butter and sour cream, extra toppings on the side or even in the form of the popular potato skin; overflowing with bacon and bubbling cheese. Mmmm. 

My delicate British palate has gradually become more accustomed to the food here, although it's still quite humorous to presented with a burger the size of my head at a diner!

I have been making a variation of these baked potatoes for many years now when my mom would pop over for lunch once a week. Seriously, they're so easy! If you're a fan of warm comfort food, creamy, gooey cheese and delightful crispy ham, this is for you!

You like?
Ready to cook? Ok, first step is to preheat your oven to 395 degrees Fahrenheit before getting your ingredients together. This recipe will feed 2 people depending on the size of your potatoes.
 

  • 2 large potatoes of your choice
  • Extra virgin olive oil
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Grated sharp white cheddar
  • Several thin slices of deli ham
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp sour cream
  • Dried herbs
    (Something like fresh chives would also be great here and actually, I happen to particularly love thyme in this recipe but I was out. So, my sweet little oregano, it's your turn).
  • Finally, a splash of milk
Time for a quick cooking note: I like to microwave my potatoes for the first part of my twice 'baked' potatoes, just cos it's easier and quicker. But if you choose to bake yours, you can wrap them in foil and cook them until they're tender, for about 45-50 mins.


First, I douse the potatoes with a good tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle salt over the top (coarse is best as it gives a nice crusty outer) and then you can prick them with a fork.

In the micro they go. Remember to account for the size. Mine took about 12 minutes, and then I kept checking on them as a few more minutes went by. If you give your potatoes a gentle squeeze you can feel when they're done. Then, you can cut them in half length ways.


 
Next, scoop out most of the contents of the potato 'shell' into a bowl. (You want to keep enough potato inside to ensure the skin can support the filling so leave a little intact).


Then into the same bowl, you can prepare your filling. Add the cheese, ham (which I cut into ribbons), herbs, salt, pepper, butter and sour cream.

Mash the mixture lightly with a fork and add a little milk if needed to make everything come together more easily.



It's time to load those potato skins up high! At this point I like to be a little generous and add even more cheese and ham to the top.


The potatoes will take about 20-25 minutes in the oven. Pull them out when they're slightly golden brown on top and serve.



And... There you go!
Delicious huh?

You can use this opportunity to get some healthy greens in with a side salad. Also, if you can believe it, most of the indulgent ingredients like the sour cream and cheese, can even be switched out for low fat options! If you're really watching your weight, you can skip the butter too.


Don't forget to pin this recipe for later and if you happen to try this out let me know in the comments below. I'd love to hear if you have your own variations too.


Enjoy...!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you! I hope you tried it out - it really is delicious! Checking out your recipe now Vasmsi!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment!