
DIY, decorating and art has always been a huge part of my life. To be honest though, back in the day when my husband would suggest checking out a thrift store or yard sale, I wasn't that interested. Someone's old sunken couch, clunky dark furniture and nick nacks weren't really for me. It didn't cross my mind that quite a few of those kind of things could actually be transformed into something beautiful!
Over time, (probably thanks to Pinterest) I repeatedly come across many great home décor and DIY tutorials. I gradually started to become interested in attempting a few make overs myself and before long, I decided it was time to see what the fuss was about. I had to track down a really good thrift store.
My husband and I live in Montclair, New Jersey where there are quite a few fancy antique shops in town. It wasn't until we came away from spotting several beautiful $1200 dressers (post makeover), that I realized we were completely in the wrong place. Aside from yard sales, which are also few and far between, I finally managed to track down a Good Will not too far away. In my findings, it seems that the 'good' thrift stores are actually few and far between.
My first shopping trip turned out to actually be very exciting. I wasn't long in the store before I felt bitten by the 'thrift shopping bug' (which sounds kinda gross actually, but you know what I mean). In short, I scored some amazing finds for next to nothing and went home full of ideas.
Here's what I picked up on my very first trip. Not all will be for make over purposes.
* A maroon ceramic lamp. I had to trust my gut and see beyond the delightful shade of eggplant but the shape had me sold and for a mere $3.99, it was mine.- * A yellow frosted glass vase for $0.99.
* A cute metallic mosaic tealight holder for $0.99.
* A white ceramic soap dish for $1.99 (not for make over purposes just because. I find, I'm getting back into soaps and we happen to be without a dish. This particular buy even still had the new Target price tag on).
* Finally, these 4 cups for $3.97.
I've been after some small tea cups for a while. I love these cos they're simple and classic. Plus, they were made in England!
I'm sure you know we Brits love a good cup of tea... It's certainly true. Pinky up!
I am super excited about giving the lamp a good dose of spray paint in the near future.
Get a good look of the 'before'...
My absolute find for the day though, was this baby below.
Behold... The $5 chair.
![]() |
| I see your potential, ugly duckling. |
I thought these other little trinkets may benefit from some spray paint treatment too.
So there we go. Check back soon to see how I transformed these finds. I'd love to know below if you're a fan of the thrift store too. Where do you go and what have you bought? As always, I'd love to see your pics too!






No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for leaving a comment!